Wednesday 1 October 2014

A New Beginning! - welcome to Bird Cottage.

Well, I can honestly say that the past 4 months have passed in the blink of an eye. So much as happened that I really don't know where to start. But let's just say that a little bit of crazy breakfast talk over the Sunday papers with bacon and eggs .....a search through Domain.com ....and a couple of road trips to the Southern Highlands.....and now we have left city life behind for a new life in the country [well...semi-rural country]. Finally...a plot of land 1020m² in size to get my hands into.....a truly blank canvas. And only just over 1 hours drive from the heart of Sydney.

                             Welcome to 'Bird Cottage'.




When I started 'grounded GARDENS' it was a way to express my frustrations at not being able to get outside and get my hands dirty. It was about making the most of living in the city with only a small balcony, terrace or courtyard to fulfil my horticultural frustrations! I still love small gardens; they can be some of the most beautiful and intimate spaces...a calm and relaxing oasis amongst the hustle and bustle of city life. But now I have the opportunity to turn a really blank canvas into something I hope will be sustainable and beautiful. I want it to be a cottage garden but I don't want it ramshackle; it needs to be orderly and easily maintained. The grass is nowhere near perfect so I'll just mow it and try to keep on top of the weeds. Like everywhere, water is a precious commodity so I won't be pumping it into a lawn. And what a lot of lawn we have.....


                   









These pictures show a few views of the back of the plot. Did I mention something about 'blank canvas'? As you can see it's screaming our for a veggie garden, some fruit trees and I'm hoping.....a chicken coup!!! And that leaky old shed and carport has to go!

We moved down here in early August, just catching the tail end of winter. OMG...it was so cold, especially the mornings....I'm talking -5 degrees which is a big change from the city. Luckily we have a fantastic slow-combustion wood fire that made all the difference. It was trial and error trying to get it to slow burn through the night so that when you wake up in the morning you crank it back up, throw on another log and off it goes all day. 

I took the photos below when we did our second inspection so I could remember what the place looked like. It was very neat and tidy but it seemed so small, and I have to say having lived here 7 weeks it's not huge; but it is cosy. The kitchen was fine but 'horror of horrors - no GAS cooking!!!'. That needed to be sorted out immediately! But the bones are good with high ceilings, some with the original pressed tin in very good condition. There is lots of work to do both inside and out; some cosmetic and some full on building!






























I always remember my mother telling me to "enjoy your childhood as the days go faster when your older". Never did I believe that there just wouldn't be enough hours in a day to do all the things I wanted to do. 

So I hope you'll enjoy the journey as we transform 'Bird Cottage' both inside and out. Of course I want everything done 'yesterday'...but I know it will be a process....and of course there is ALWAYS something that needs to be done, even when you think your finished. I'll try to be a little better with my posts now that things have settled down somewhat. Now I'm off to get my hands in the soil....there are raspberries and blackberries to be planted! 

No comments:

Post a Comment